Your home is one the most significant investments you will ever make, both economically and emotionally. In your home are the things that are most important to you. Should your home be damaged or destroyed, what would you do? The first thing is make certain everyone is safe and then call your Thurston Family Insurance agent.
Should your home be destroyed and need rebuilding there are several factors taken into consideration:
- Other structures on the premises such as garages, sheds
- Fireplaces, exterior trim and other special features like arched windows
- Whether the house, or parts of it like the kitchen, was custom built
- Improvement to your home–adding a second bathroom, enlarging the kitchen or other additions that have added value to your home
- The style of the house (ranch, colonial)
- The number of bathrooms and other rooms
- The type of roof and materials used
- Local construction costs
- The square footage of the structure
- The type of exterior wall construction–frame, masonry (brick or stone) or veneer
- Most home insurance policies provide coverage for disasters such as damage due to fire, lightning, hail, explosions and theft. They do not cover floods, earthquakes or damage caused by lack of routine maintenance.
Because of these factors, it’s important for you and your agent to discuss everything that is unique and important to you.
If you rent a house or apartment, your landlord’s insurance will only cover the costs of repairing the building if there is a fire or other disaster. You need your own coverage, known as renters or tenants insurance in order to financially protect yourself and your belongings.
Renters insurance includes three important types of financial protection:
- Coverage for Personal Possessions
- Liability Protection
- Additional Living Expenses
For more information on “is renters insurance right for me” feel free to check out our FAQ page and see the checklist that can help you choose the right coverage when you are shopping around for renters insurance or speaking with an insurance agent or company representative.